Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Risen Lord, Deliver Us

John 14:18- 31 (NRSV) 

"I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them." Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?" Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.  

"I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, 'I am going away, and I am coming to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe. I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me; but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us be on our way. 

Already we are hearing Jesus talk about the coming of the Holy Spirit.  On May 13th we will celebrate the Ascension of Christ and Pentecost on Sunday, May 23rd.  So between now and then we will hear a lot about Jesus promising the Holy Spirit.  But, let's slow down just a little bit here.  We are still celebrating the resurrection, not just because it is in the calendar, but because in this world of violence and prejudice we need the news about new life.  
 
This morning I was horrified when I read a story that was found in the Boston Herald.  The article's title is: Even After Death, Abuse Against Gays Continues.


THIES, Senegal — Even death cannot stop the violence against gays in this corner of the world any more.

Madieye Diallo’s body had been in the ground for only a few hours when the mob descended on the weedy cemetery with shovels. They yanked out the corpse, spit on its torso, dragged it away and dumped it in front of the home of his elderly parents.

The scene of May 2, 2009 was filmed on a cell phone and the video sold at the market. It passed from phone to phone, sowing panic among gay men who say they now feel like hunted animals.

The story itself is horrible enough.  The Lead in the Episcopal Cafe wrote about this article, beneath the paragraphs that I used above. This is what they wrote:

There are people who will tell you with a straight face a) that it is culturally imperialistic to attempt to change the kinds of attitudes that inform this violence and b) that no member church in the Anglican Communion has any business ordaining LGBT priests and bishops until such attitudes change. 

In other words commit more violence thinking that's how violence will end that kind of thing.  The problem with all of this is the idea that somehow there are Christians who justify such behaviors as if they are doing a wise and noble thing. When in fact, nothing could be further from the truth. 

Contrast that kind of thinking with the mission statement of Soul Force, and the difference is amazing. 

Soulforce, guided by the spirit of truth and empowered by the principles of relentless nonviolent resistance, works to end the religious and political oppression of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning people.

What is truly disturbing is that Jesus made the promise in today's Gospel:  "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." (John 14; 23).  God wants to make a home with us?  God wants us to keep the word of Jesus so that God and Jesus will make a home with us.  In other words, God and Jesus want to bring us the Holy Spirit.  How in the world can God make a home with us, in the Church, in institutions that promote violence and prejudice as a way of dealing with conflict?  How can we see God making a home in places where LGBT people are continually violated by religious and political oppression?  The most recent example of such oppression came yesterday when the Pope's right hand Cardinal once again stated that the pedophilia crisis in the Catholic church is to be blamed on gay men.  In the face of sexual violence that was not addressed appropriately, they in appropriately use spiritual violence to use gay men as their scape goat.   


The reality is that such acts of sexual, spiritual and war like violence are not of the mind of God or Jesus.  Such attitudes are not the result of the Paschal mystery.  They are sins in the worst way.  When even the "mightiest" of church men cannot even admit that they did wrong and uses a group of people already oppressed by political and religious folks as their excuse, sin is at work and real conversion is needed some where.  When people use the name of Jesus to suggest gun violence to over throw a government attempting to bring peace and justice to a world ridden with a bad economy and people who are sick because they cannot afford health care, sin is at work.  It has to be called by it's name and we must pray and pray as often as possible for a peaceful ending.  


God came to us in Jesus Christ to offer us all a different way.  God came to us to tell us that it is okay to be different.  In Jesus, God looked at all of our sins and promised to help us, and he did it through the death and resurrection of Jesus.  God sent the Holy Spirit upon the Church to guide us into all truth.  Truth does not drop from the sky all wrapped up and understood.  The Scriptures by themselves without Tradition and Reason risk being used as excuses for hate and are we not seeing that now?   Through Reason we understand that women are no longer just property to be bargained away.  Women are wonderful, nurturing and giving people who are also called by God to lead the world and the Church.  Through Reason we also know that people of different colors, races, religions, nationalities and cultures have terrific gifts to offer humankind.  Likewise through Reason we also understand that people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered can love in healthy and holy ways just like heterosexuals can.  It is time for the violence and oppression against women, people of different races, sexual orientations and/or gender identities/expressions to end.  There is no Christian attitude that justifies such violence and bigotry.


Almighty and everlasting God, who in the Paschal mystery established the new covenant of reconciliation: Grant that all who have been reborn into the fellowship of Christ's Body may show forth in their lives what they profess by their faith; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (Collect for the Second Sunday of Easter, Book of Common Prayer, Page 224).

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Prayer for the Human Family, Book of Common Prayer, Page 815)

Gracious Father, we pray for your holy Catholic Church. Fill it with all truth, in all truth with all peace. Where it is corrupt, purify it; where it is in error, direct it; where in any thing it is amiss, reform it. Where it is right, strengthen it; where it is in want, provide for it; where it is divided, reunite it; for the sake of Jesus Christ your Son our Savior. Amen. (Prayer for the Church, Book of Common Prayer, Page 816).



No comments:

Post a Comment