Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Abide in God's Love

John 15: 1- 11 (NRSV)

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower.  He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.  I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete." 

That's it.  No, we cannot do it without God.  Jesus has told us as much in this Gospel.  "I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15: 5).  If we are going to accomplish anything that is worthwhile, we can only do it with God's help. 


As lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people trying to work for justice and equality in a world where the society and many members of the Church continue to speak out against homosexuality, we cannot accomplish the work of changing minds and hearts if we do not anchor ourselves in God.  God is on our side, even when things do not work out the way we want them to.  Jesus invites us to think of ourselves as attached to him so that we might face all of our obstacles with God's grace.  


As we continue to hear stories of violent militias gaining power through violence, we might tend to become discouraged and understandably afraid.  It is discouraging when many presume to be doing so on religious based convictions.  The notion that some how God might condone acting in violent and reckless ways because the Federal Government has passed health care reform and wants to reform America's financial institutions.  Because America wants to allow LGBT people our fundamental rights and immigrants the opportunity to build a life here, many think that God supports the idea that guns and violence are a way to solve such conflicts.  How do such attitudes of violence and discrimination "abide in the love of God?"   


Jesus told us to "abide in my love."  Yet, the Catholic church confronts the sexual violence among their clergy, instead of abiding in God's love and acknowledging the need for change, they use LGBT individuals as their excuse.  Many in the Episcopal Church and Anglican Communion use the issue of sexual orientation to not come to the table and be open to discussions about why the Church needs to continue to be open to change.  

Abiding in the love of God through Jesus means being willing to look at our attitudes and those areas where we find diversity difficult.  Abiding in the love of God means that as we journey to those places within ourselves with God, we can find the strength to face our prejudices and allow God to heal us and help reconcile differences with others.  Jesus has already told us in this Gospel that we do not face these things alone.  Without God, we can do nothing.  So, why are so many of us trying to go it alone?


Almighty and everlasting God, who in the Paschal mystery established the new covenant of reconciliation: Grant that all who have been reborn into the fellowship of Christ's Body may show forth in their lives what they profess by their faith; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (Collect for the Second Sunday of Easter, Book of Common Prayer, Page 224).

God, the author of peace and lover of concord, to know you is eternal life and to serve you is perfect freedom: Defend us, your humble servants, in all assaults of our enemies; that we, surely trusting in your defense, may not fear the power of any adversaries; through the might of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (A Collect for Peace, Book of Common Prayer, Page 99).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment