Saturday, May 24, 2014

Sixth Sunday of Easter: If You Love Me

Today's Scripture Reading

John 14:15-21 (NRSV)

Jesus said to his disciples, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.

"I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them."


Blog Reflection

No!  Your eyes are not deceiving you.   I am only using the Gospel reading for this Sunday instead of the entire Lectionary.   I have had a very busy week behind me.   Tomorrow, I leave for the Spring Convocation of the Companions of St. Luke/Order of St. Benedict held at Conception Abbey in Missouri.   I have a full week ahead of me.  So, rather than write a blog on the whole Sunday Lectionary, I felt that using only the Gospel reading was the best way to go.

There are many things written in the Gospel of John that can be difficult to understand, put into action, put into a sermon or blog.  This Sunday's Gospel is not one of them.  Jesus is talking plain talk to those who are following Him with a clear and vital message.

Last Sunday, Jesus told us that the life that He lived is the way, the truth and the life guiding Christians to a meaningful way of living the life and words of Jesus.   They do not make Christianity the only true religion for all of humankind; but, for Christians and those who want to be good examples of Jesus and His holy life, know Him, His words are about our true relationship.    Now, in this Gospel that continues what Jesus began last Sunday, He tells us not just what the way, truth and life is, but how to live into it.  It is simply not enough to know the creeds backwards and forwards, or know every chapter and verse of the Bible by memory for the next hot theological debate.   The life that Jesus points us to, does not make us terribly popular or well liked; but, it is a life that loves very differently than how the world around us shows love.

The so called "love" of the world around us is based on what we can see, know and do.   How wealthy and powerful we can become.  It is a love that has as it's roots commercial and industrial development at the expense of the needs of the human person to the point of deciding whom do we include or exclude.  To love Jesus and to follow His commandments is to love others as He loves each one of us.  Jesus is God's love made to live in the Human Person, by loving God, our neighbor and ourselves inclusively and by seeking justice for all human persons.   It is a love that celebrates all love as being from God, so as to be directed to God through our love of others.   It is a love that is prepared to give of ourselves for the sake of others.   It is love shown by seeking healing and reconciliation where there is oppression, violence and prejudice.

This past week was an amazing week for the LGBT Communities.  The States of Oregon, Pennsylvania and Idaho saw rulings on the freedom to marry that gave same-sex couples the legal right to marry the person they love.   The one that I wish to focus on for a bit as part of this blog reflection on love, is Oregon.  

In his ruling that Oregon's Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage was unconstitutional, Judge Michael J. McShane wrote what I received was quite the Easter message at the end of his opinion and ruling.   He wrote:  "Where will all this lead?  I know many suggest that we are going down a slippery slope that will have no moral boundaries.  To those who truly harbor such fears, I can only say this: Let us look less to the sky to see what might fall; rather, let us look to each other....and rise."

I think that is what Jesus' message to us in the Gospel today is.  Rather than looking toward a heaven for more storms to come and show us how evil we are for supporting the equal opportunity to marry, let us look at LGBT couples, listen to the stories of their relationships and lives together and rise together with the Risen Christ, and in love, love Christ by loving each other.

Amen.


Prayers

O God, you have prepared for those who love you such good
things as surpass our understanding: Pour into our hearts such
love towards you, that we, loving you in all things and above
all things, may obtain your promises, which exceed all that we
can desire; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (Book of Common Prayer, p.225).


O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us
through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole
human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which
infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us;
unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and
confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in
your good time, all nations and races may serve you in
harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen. (Book of Common Prayer, p. 815).

No comments:

Post a Comment