Saturday, April 27, 2013

Fifth Sunday of Easter: Love One Another without Distinction

Today's Scripture Readings

Acts 11:1-18  (NRSV)


Now the apostles and the believers who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also accepted the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him, saying, "Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them?" Then Peter began to explain it to them, step by step, saying, "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. There was something like a large sheet coming down from heaven, being lowered by its four corners; and it came close to me. As I looked at it closely I saw four-footed animals, beasts of prey, reptiles, and birds of the air. I also heard a voice saying to me, `Get up, Peter; kill and eat.' But I replied, `By no means, Lord; for nothing profane or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' But a second time the voice answered from heaven, `What God has made clean, you must not call profane.' This happened three times; then everything was pulled up again to heaven. At that very moment three men, sent to me from Caesarea, arrived at the house where we were. The Spirit told me to go with them and not to make a distinction between them and us. These six brothers also accompanied me, and we entered the man's house. He told us how he had seen the angel standing in his house and saying, `Send to Joppa and bring Simon, who is called Peter; he will give you a message by which you and your entire household will be saved.' And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as it had upon us at the beginning. And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said, `John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' If then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?" When they heard this, they were silenced. And they praised God, saying, "Then God has given even to the Gentiles the repentance that leads to life."


Psalm 148 (BCP., p.805)


Revelation 21:1-6 (NRSV)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
"See, the home of God is among mortals.
He will dwell with them as their God;
they will be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them;
he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more,
for the first things have passed away."
And the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true." Then he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life."

John 13:31-35

At the last supper, when Judas had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, 'Where I am going, you cannot come.' I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."


Blog Reflection

In Psalm 86: 11 the Psalmist writes: Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; knit my heart to you that I may honor your name.

I think Peter experienced being taught the way of God in his vision on the roof top.  He had been taught that those outside of the acceptance of his Faith tradition were unclean.  They were to be avoided, dismissed and left to fend for themselves. The revelation of God's Self in Jesus Christ changed not only the world in terms of a relationship with God, but also our understanding of God's relationship with all humankind.  The more distance we create between ourselves and others who are different from ourselves, the greater distance our relationship with God becomes. We may have great moments of mystical experiences and growth in grace.  Those experiences however, are not to make us into our own personal isolation ward with God.  The Holy Spirit constantly moves on us, to expand our hearts to make them places for a greater love for God, neighbor and self.

When Peter put aside his biases, he was then enabled to do the Apostolic work of baptizing Cornelius and all his household.  Yet, those around him had not yet received the good news that was contained in Peter's vision.  The opportunity brought by the biased, yet questioning people, became a teaching moment through which the walls that separate people from each other could break down and unite communities together.

Racism, heterosexism, sexism, religious based violence and oppression divide communities.   The conspiracy theories circulating about the Muslim religion since the Boston Marathon bombing, are the result of a deadly social disease running wild.  They fuel cruel rhetoric and behavior.  Whole families and communities are stigmatized.  They do not reflect Christians saved by the death and resurrection of Christ being soldiers of the Lord in the new century crusade.  They represent an ignorance driven by fear, breeding hate that becomes horrible violence.  It is never the will of God.  It must be responded to with the proclamation of Jesus Christ and Him crucified to end all scapegoating and negative stereotyping.  The Paschal Mystery is our reason to love and make peace with all people.  A peace that welcomes all people, lets go of suspicions and is open to creating community with every person.   It involves a resolve to respond in obedience out of love and self-sacrifice.  Not get all the immigrants out so that we can live with our insecurities without question.

Psalm 148 is an inclusive song of praise.  All creatures and peoples with all their diverse ways of raising a hymn of thanksgiving and rejoicing sing Hallelujah to God who does great wonders in all the earth.    As we grow beyond our comfort zones, the earth gives honor and praise to God joined with the mystical community of creation.  God defends us from the enemies that would divide us from within, through foreign attitudes that keep us from accepting each other in hospitality and reconciliation.

Jesus at the Last Supper scene in today's Gospel, prepares the disciples for his impending death.  We have walked back a bit from the empty tomb, back to Maundy Thursday. We are returned there to remember what Jesus taught us as our responsibility to Him as followers.  Our response to the Paschal Mystery needs to be one by which we keep in mind what Christ taught us by Word and example.  That is why I chose the image of Christ washing feet as the visual for this Gospel reading.  Christ taught us the new commandment to love one another as He has loved us. 

It is easy, much too easy to look upon such love as a passive romantic.  After all, who doesn't like those wonderful warm fuzzy feelings that come with loving someone who loves us in return.  However, this love is not about feelings.  It is not even about receiving back what we give.  It is about a sacrificial love that does not just look and decide to walk away or avoid.  It is a love that gives of the whole of one's heart for the good of the other person.  Whether that person is the same as we are, or not.

To hear and respond to the commandment to love one another as Christ loves is about abandoning our comfort zones, our agenda's, our prejudices and make space for God in one another.   This is the most difficult love for all of us. We just don't like giving up our pride. We want to guard our labels and defend our personal accomplishments. We earned our own keep.  Why share with others who have not worked for it the way I have?   Does anyone hear in these attitudes that are within all of us at one time or another, the resentment, jealousy and competitiveness of the Elder Son in the Prodigal Son?  Go back and read Luke 15: 11-32.   There the Father watched from his window for his lost son to return. As the lost son returned, the Father ran to embrace him and give him a feast, killing the fatted calf.  The Elder Son just could not rejoice without feeling resentment and jealousy. The Father's response demonstrates the meaning of today's Gospel when we just says to the Eldest Son: "You are with me.  Everything I have is yours."

Everything that God has in marriage for straight couples is also God's to give to same-sex couples.   The banquet of God's Goodness and abundance to love unconditionally with hospitality and reconciliation belongs as much to LGBT people as it does to those who are not.  The holy institution of marriage is not threatened, changed or in any way diminished because LGBT people and couples get to share in the opportunities and responsibilities that come with loving, committed relationships.   As we saw Rhode Island, France and Delaware take up the work to grant the freedom to marry to same-sex couples, the joy of God becomes evident as God's love becomes visible in inclusive communities.  The commandment to love one another as Christ loves us becomes personified as straight couples who have shared in all the benefits of marriage, children, families and responsibilities can now be shared by LGBT people.

The commandment to love as Christ loves is a love without distinctions, but calls for a love from the whole of a person to the whole and common good of another.  Even if it means letting go of ourselves for the good of another.

The Easter that we are now living in this Season, is one by which we remember that all of the bonds that hold us down and keeps us from realizing God's love for all people, become broken and rolled away.  In the resurrection we can now rise up and walk.  We can see in the Light of God's revelation of Self in Christ.

How are we going to love without distinction, with the whole heart this week?


Prayers

Almighty god, whom truly to know is everlasting life: Grant
us so perfectly to know your Son Jesus Christ to be the way,
the truth, and the life, that we may steadfastly follow his
steps in the way that leads to eternal life; through Jesus Christ
your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity
of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (Collect for Fifth Sunday of Easter, Book of Common Prayer, p.225).



O Lord my God. Teach my heart this day where and how to see you, where and how to find you. You have made me and remade me, and you have bestowed on me all the good things I possess, and still I do not know you. I have not yet done that for which I was made. Teach me to seek you, for I cannot seek you unless you show yourself to me. Let me seek you in my desire, let me desire you in my seeking. Let me find you by loving you, let me love you when I find you. Amen. (Prayer of St. Anselm of Canterbury, St. Benedict's Prayer Book., p.118).

Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so
move every human heart [and especially the hearts of the
people of this land], that barriers which divide us may
crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our
divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen. (Prayer for Social Justice, Book of Common Prayer, p.823).

No comments:

Post a Comment