Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday in the First Week of Lent: Whom Are we Serving?

Scriptural Basis

Matthew 25: 31-46 (NRSV)

‘When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” Then he will say to those at his left hand, “You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.” Then they also will answer, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?” Then he will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.” And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.’ 


Blog Reflection

St. Louis de Monfort wrote: "I will love my God who lives in my neighbor."  "My God who lives in my neighbor."

Those who see religion from a particular point of view might respond to Monfort's statement: "Is he telling me to idolize my neighbor?"  That is a fair question.   In the Old Testament we read the words: "I am the Lord your God,,, you shall have no other gods before me."  (Exodus 20: 2,3).

When Jesus tells us that whatever we do to those who are members of his family, we do to him, is Jesus telling us to worship him?   When St. Louis de Montfort tells recognizes his God who lives in his neighbor, is he worshiping an idol in his neighbor?

If we see each person as their unique entity with no beginning in someone or something beyond themselves, then the answer to the previously asked questions is yes.   There are religions that would respond yes to the questions I raised.  They are entitled to their point of view.

For Christians however, our answer to those questions is no.  As Christians we recognize that the God that we worship and serve has created and therefore resides in and with our neighbor.  Christians should understand that to not serve our neighbor is to fail to serve God.  Our worship of God in our churches finds it's fulfillment when our liturgical celebrations become the true and living stories of our lives as we serve the God we worship in the needs of our neighbors.  Therefore we are to serve God in our neighors, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning and queer people.   We love our God who is in our neighbor in people of other genders, gender identities/expressions, other religions, other languages, other cultures/traditions, races, nationalities, wealth and health status and so on.   We do not draw a line in the sand about who we serve God in, and who we refuse to serve God in, if we embrace the cross of Jesus Christ as seriously as we say we do.

Just in today's news clips all over the internet, we are seeing Jesus in our neighbor being bruised and injured.  A teacher in southern California has been bullying a gay student by writing S for "sinner" on the hand of a gay student.  An individual has stated that God is punishing the country of Japan for atheism by way of the horrible earthquake and tsunami.  A young teenager named Nick Kelo age 13 shot himself after he was bullied for being gay, before and especially after he joined the school band.   We continue to see Jesus told that he has no bargaining rights, as they are taken away from Union workers all over the country.   Jesus' budget for those who are poor, destitute and pregnant continues to be exploited and taken away, while tax breaks for corporations becomes a greater priority.

The voice of progressive Christians is so very important as we work through this season of Lent.  We have opportunities to pray and work for the liberation of Jesus in our neighbor who continues to be assaulted by right wing political scams.  Our prayers and voices for those who continue to be oppressed and marginalized are so very important.

Yes, we are to love our God who lives in our neighbor.  God is so very good to us, so out of thanksgiving to God for God's goodness we should be willing to share that goodness with God who lives in our neighbor.  Amen.

Prayers,

Almighty and everlasting God, mercifully increase in us your gifts of holy discipline, in almsgiving, prayer and fasting; that our lives may be directed to the fulfilling of your most gracious will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, on God, for ever and ever.  Amen. (Prayer for Monday in the First Week of Lent, Holy Woman, Holy Men, Celebrating the Saints, page 36).


O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Prayer for the Human Family, Book of Common Prayer, page 815).

Almighty and most merciful God, we remember before you all poor and neglected persons whom it would be easy for us to forget: the homeless and the destitute, the old and the sick, and all who have none to care for them. Help us to heal those who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow into joy. Grant this, Father, for the love of your Son, who for our sake became poor, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Prayer for the Poor and Neglected, Book of Common Prayer, page 826).
Compassionate God, whose Son Jesus wept at the grave of his friend Lazarus: Draw near to us in this time of sorrow and anguish, comfort those who mourn, strengthen those who are weary, encourage those in despair, and lead us all to fullness of life; through the same Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.  (On the Occasion of a Disaster, Holy Women, Holy Men, Celebrating the Saints, page 733).  

No comments:

Post a Comment