Monday, February 1, 2010

Are We What We Eat?

John 6:27-40 (NRSV)

Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal." Then they said to him, "What must we do to perform the works of God?" Jesus answered them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent." So they said to him, "What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.' " Then Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." They said to him, "Sir, give us this bread always." Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day."
It is only about 8:00 this morning and already the day has been busy with concerns and things to get me worked up. I am in the process today of working with my local Senate District to put together meetings for the local LGBT community concerning the upcoming elections and the candidates seeking our vote. I have seen some resistance from my local DFL (in Minnesota that means Democratic Farmer Labor party) chairperson to help me circulate information about the meetings, because I am asking that we hold our elected officials accountable for gaining the LGBT vote. Tomorrow is the day that our State holds our Caucuses at which we have the opportunity to vote for candidates and make resolutions in support of our issues. The times are intense.

As I am praying through this mornings Daily Office I read those beautiful words of Jesus: "I am the bread of life." Jesus again reminds me that he is the way, truth and life. Jesus again tells me that he is offering life to me and to us as we struggle to accomplish God's will in terms of our quest for equality. In a world of LGBT biases with people in our own churches against us, it is comforting to remember that Jesus is meeting us at the point of our need, with the very Presence of God in the Eucharist.

When we stretch out our hands at the Eucharist, the Priest says: "The Body of Christ, the Bread of Life". The Priest is proclaiming the words of Jesus to us. More importantly the Priest is telling us to become what we are consuming. We are being instructed to receive and become the Body of Christ and the Bread of Life for the world. In America we have a saying: "you are what you eat." Are we the Body of Christ, the Bread of Life in a broken world where prejudice and corporate profits determines even human and civil rights? Are we faithful to the Bread of heaven, by asking Jesus in our prayers at Eucharist Liturgies how we can be that Bread of Life?

Anyone who has walked into a house where there is bread baking knows what a terrific aroma it is. It makes our mouths water and it is so very comforting. Today, Jesus is asking us to be that bread of life that brings comfort to those who are wounded by attitudes and behaviors of discrimination towards LGBT people. It is difficult for us to do that, when those who often discourage us are those within the Church itself. However, as we heard yesterday, God has already consecrated us for this mission. God has already called all of us to do the work of proclaiming liberty to those captivated by biased thinking in Jesus' inauguration address in Luke 4:16-20. We are nourished by Jesus the Bread of Life, to be the Bread of Life for those in need of being delivered, healed and challenged to move beyond their thinking.

Almighty and everlasting God, you govern all things both in heaven and on earth: Mercifully hear the supplications of your people, and in our time grant us your peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (Collect for the Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany, BCP, Page 215).

God, the creator and preserver of all, we humbly beseech you for all sorts and conditions of people; that you would be pleased to make your ways known unto them, your saving health unto all nations. More especially we pray for your holy Church universal; that it may be so guided and governed by your good Spirit, that all who profess and call themselves Christians may be led into the way of truth, and hold the faith in unity of spirit, in the bond of peace, and in righteousness of life. Finally, we commend to your fatherly goodness all those who are in any ways afflicted or distressed, in mind, body, or estate; that it may please you to comfort and relieve them according to their several necessities, giving them patience under their sufferings, and a happy issue out of all their afflictions. And this we beg for Jesus Christ's sake. Amen. (Prayers for All Sorts and Conditions, BCP, Page 814).

No comments:

Post a Comment